Monday 3 April 2017

A year on...


It's still surreal having been a mum for a year, I've gone from living at home with my parents to living with my partner in a new city. There have been days when I haven't wanted to leave the house, where I've felt like I physically can't, we dealt with reflux for the first 8 months of Grayson's life. More vomit from a tiny human than I ever thought possible. A&E trips, strangers making comments and no sleep.

It took me until he was a year old to get out to baby group. I'm not proud of that but now I see it as it is what it is. I'm lucky that when I went to get him weighed after his birthday I got talking to a worker at the baby centre who understood anxiety and encouraged me to come along to messy play sessions anyway. It was one of the most terrifying things at the time. Walking into a room full of strangers is my idea of hell. But Grayson loved it.

It took ten and a half months before he slept through the night. The worst nights he was waking 9 times a night. I thought I was going to die from tiredness. Now we get a night or two a week that he sleeps through. The most was five nights in a row. I didn't sleep for most of them, turns out no matter how much you want sleep, when your baby starts suddenly sleeping through the night you'll probably think he's dead. And check on him constantly.

So that's where we're at now, still learning, still dealing with being the odd one, but always searching for our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment